How do I order a new debit card? I lost or misplaced my card.

Immediately call our Member Service Center at 503-239-5336 or 800-982-2974 to report your lost or misplaced card. If it is after hours, our recording will give you the option to report a lost or stolen card. Press the corresponding option and our card processor will block your card.  You will need to contact us during regular business hours to request a new card since our card processor is unable to request a new card for you.